- Quarterly magazine Katchu Bugu Kenkyu (in Japanese)
- Partial translation in English of the main articles of the magazine
- Discount on new books published by the association (e.g. Juyo Bunka Shiryo Zuroku)
- English newsletter
Events in Japan
- Attend the regular meetings held in Tokyo or in any of the other branches of the association (Hiroshima, Kinki, Okayama, Fukushima, Nagano, Tokai)
- Participate in the annual national assembly meeting of the association
- Network with armor makers, researchers and collectors
- Attend armor exhibitions (sometimes at a discount if co-organized by the association) with special seminars
- Attend the events that will be organized by the western branch of the society (symposium, special museum visits etc)
How to become a member
Membership fee for one year (starting every year on April 1st):
New members: 15,000 yen plus 3,000 yen enrollment fee = 18,000 yen
Renewal: 15,000 yen
Payment can be done in different ways:
Please email us your details to the following address (this is not the PayPal address): firstname.lastname@example.org
We will send you then a PayPal request.
Please be aware that in order to cover the PayPal costs (about 4%) we will invoice the following amounts:
18,720 yen for new members
15,600 yen for annual renewal
International Postal Order to the following address:
The Association for the Research and Preservation of Japanese Helmets and Armor
What is the difference between the Japanese Armor Society and the NKBKHK?
The Japanese Armor Society (JAS) is the Western branch of the Nihon Katchu Bugu Kenkyu Hozon Kai (NKBKHK) or The Association for the Research and Preservation of Japanese Helmets and Armor. The NKBKHK has been established in Japan since 1961 and has many local branches within the country, all under the auspices of the mother organization. However, even though these local branches have welcomed foreign members for some time now, communications and access to information in English was very difficult and limited the growth of the organization. With this in mind, the NKBKHK mandated the establishment of a Western branch in order to increase access and grow membership internationally. Thus, the JAS was formed in April 2017, with the full blessing and backing of the NKBKHK.
With membership in the JAS, one is automatically a member of the NKBKHK without any additional cost. However, if someone prefers to join one of the local branches of the NKBKHK instead (without joining the JAS), then that member assumes the responsibility of managing his membership directly with the local office, including all communications. Please also note that members of the JAS will have extra benefits not available to members of the local branches of the NKBKHK, including English translations of certain articles from the quarterly newsletters and other initiatives geared specifically for English-speaking audiences.